4.11.2008

b's book of the weekend


I just want to post about this really great book I read recently. It was given to me by my friend Alan (BIG thanks!) and I highly recommend it.
It's called Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close, written by Jonathan Safran Foer. He also wrote Everything is Illuminated, which was made into a movie. I didn't read that one, but saw the movie and loved it.
Extremely Loud is written (mostly) from the perspective of a nine year old boy whose father died on 9/11; he finds a key in his Dad's suit and goes on a quest to find it's lock. That's a way simplified explanation, but I don't want to ruin anything! Anyways, I say check it out if you haven't. It's one of the most beautiful and endearing stories I've ever read.

6 comments:

ap said...

who's alan?

Shawbee said...

Nice job, ladies. I hope this blog gets juicy to the max. Speaking of recent books made into movies, I just watched "Into the Wild" which is about a middle class dude severs himself from his life and goes tramping for a year or so. I felt a similarity, but he is different than I am.

In other news, you'll be happy to hear that Jesse and I watch Queer as Folk every night for our entertainment.

b said...

You and Jesse ARE Queer as Folk.

ap said...

That movie came out in the fall John- OLD NEWS. It was fab though, obvi. Sean Penn = amazing.

Unknown said...

OK, ok Barrie, I'll read it next so we have something to talk about at dinner---Mom

Unknown said...

Yea! I adore this book...glad you do too. FINALLY a novel with photos! cheers.