5.03.2008

video killed the radio star

I found myself listening to "Once in a Lifetime" by the Talking Heads over and over and over today. It made me really sad because that song ALWAYS reminds me of Oberlin, especially my first year there. After cross country camp that year, the team watched "Stop Making Sense", the live DVD. It was pretty much my introduction to the Talking Heads (come on, I went to Winfield...), and was a pivotal moment, foreshadowing how Oberlin was about to change my life. I wanted to share it, especially because I love that I can just get on the internet (Thanks Al Gore!!!) and immediately watch David Byrne hit his own forehead while singing.
I also was reading one of my favorite blogs, Feministing, and they had a Menudo video on there. I could not stop laughing, especially because they are all wearing black boots just like the ones I will be putting on in about one hour to go dancing. These are the boots that my sister-in-law looks at and says "Go back to 1985" when I wear them, but I have to remind her that I was born in 1985, so that would be weird.
After reminiscing about the Talking Heads and watching Menudo videos on feministing.com, I couldn't help but look up other awesome vids on youtube.
Here's some more oldies, but total goodies:

Too bad the crack got him

I never knew a chain link fence could be so sexy

I never knew glasses and a flat-top could be so sexy

When I heard this song as a little girl, I immediately associated it with my parents

Obvi.

4 comments:

valmo said...

YES!!! I remember that evening so vividly -- Jonah had the video, and suggested we watch it. I think that was the first and only time I ever hung out in the lobby of Dascomb. This just jogged my memory of all my quintessential Oberlin moments. Wow. I miss it. I went to a burlesque show last night, and it felt so Oberlin -- dressing up and leaving the house late at night to go see something crazy and fun. Ah, college.

b said...

VAL!! It was Barrows, not Dascomb. I definitely NEVER hung out in the lobby of Dascomb...ew.

Anonymous said...

Get a room you guys, gosh!

Anonymous said...

Bear, you said that The Clash reminds you of your parents. I have to say that when I think of your parents, or at least your dad, I think of running down the sidewalk in Winfield and watching you do an impersonation of your dad driving a VW bug. Haha...unexpected memory!