5.31.2009

Eminent Domain and Art in SF

77 Natoma Street will be demolished in October 2009 unless people at this party can stop it. In all fairness, it sounds like a great show with works from 200+ artists and a handful of people, musicians and artists in attendance. If only Matt Gonzalez hadn't run with Ralph Nader in 2008 for the White House ticket, I might be impressed that he'll be there.

This past Friday I met this guy, Mr. Lucky. He was wearing exactly what he's wearing on his website and told us he got his hat in the 1960's (maybe 1950's. Long time ago, that's the point) in Oakland. A little eccentric, but I always appreciate an artist who's serious about it.

I also met the owner of Grasp, a gallery in North Beach. Intriguing but I need to learn more, so there will be more about that later.

Finally, yesterday at SFMOMA yesterday I saw the new Georgia O'Keefe/Ansel Adams exhibit. It was truly fantastic. The juxtoposition of painting and photography of some of the most beautiful images in our natural world was done exquisitely. Five stars for sure. I also finally got up to the rooftop garden and liked all the sculptures, with the execption of that weird spider. Ugly. There's also a very cool trailer on that top floor that's super retro and fun to daydream about taking a road trip in like the people in the video that's alongside the actual trailer. I took a few minutes to see William Kentridge's exhibit one more time before it was gone and didn't regret it. He always blows my mind.

No comments: