9.29.2009

Fall playlist aka I am trying to make a comeback.

Life has been pretty busy for me since June, which is when I started studying for the LSAT. After having taken the test last Saturday, and also having rid my life of other distractions like a horrible boss and philandering boyfriend, I am back on track. I am making a career move, waiting for the LSAT score to arrive so I can start applying to law school, and just generally enjoying life. I got a new camera, so maybe some pictures will show up on here more often. Also, Unca D, too bad you aren't in town this weekend to enjoy this: http://www.hardlystrictlybluegrass.com/
I'm also going to represent my WV roots tomorrow at the SF premier of "Coal Country."
I will make my foray back into blogging by starting out easy and working off of ap's last post.
With such transitions in life comes a new soundtrack, so here is how I am starting out the fall:

  • Disappear by Mazzy Star
  • Sodom, South Georgia by Iron & Wine
  • the only king by the everybody fields
  • On to the Next One by Jay-Z
  • Be So Happy by The Heartless Bastards
  • Cry, Cry by Mazzy Star
I've also decided that Jay-Z will never top "Reasonable Doubt," no matter how hard he tries.

Lastly, now that I've finally finished the LSAT, I can get back to reading for pleasure. I started with The Night of the Gun by David Carr, which I ended up quitting about 90 pages in (not common for me). This book is basically an extension of an article he wrote a year ago, which I really liked then. That said, I could not handle an entire book of it. The book is a memoir, but written in the investigative genre of a journalist, because Carr was so out of it during these years, he had to interview those involved to actually write a memoir. Sounds interesting, you say? I agree. What I could not get down with was the level of humor Carr felt like he should insert. Being addicted to coke is not funny, especially when you're a privileged, educated white male who could have easily made some better choices. I understand that addiction can be a powerful disease, but Carr did not need to approach the subject in this memoir as though it was actually funny to find out that at one point he owned a gun of which he has no recollection. My coworker, who recommended it to me, insisted that the story redeems itself in the second half, when Carr speaks with impressive candor about his rehab attempts, as well as about his inability to meet a "normal" (i.e., not a prostitute or junkie) woman after he cleans up. Perhaps, but when you've been reading nothing but logic questions for four months, you really want your first book back to be one that you simply do not want to put down - which is why I am now reading The Bonfire of the Vanities, by Tom Wolfe. I'll let you know how it goes, but so far so good.

5 comments:

Law School Podcaster said...

Are you happy with how you think you did on the LSAT?

alan said...

mazzy star??

awesome.

Unca D said...

Studying for LSAT and listening to Heartless Bastards... do I sense a trend here?

b said...

I don't get it - what's the trend Unca D?

Unknown said...

lawyers=heartless bastards

OMG, I can interpret Hedgesian!!!!