9.05.2009

oh, saturdays

I thought today would be a pretty typical Saturday. Turns out it wasn't at all! First, I went to volunteer at the SF Food Bank and just when I was having a great time and decided to come back on a regular basis, the food bank workers came in and announced that a couple of photographers from the NY Times were there to take pictures. They took pictures of us boxing up apples. Apparently grocery stores reject produce that is completely edible but aesthetically unpleasing and the food banks snatch it up. I thought the apples looked delicious.

The second unusual thing that happened was my espresso from the cafe in the title photo of this blog. It was incredible, entirely notable Blue Bottle espresso, prepared to perfection. I sipped it while reading Fitzgerald and came across this quote from Gloria Patch that I identify with immensely at the moment:


Everything I do is in accordance with my ideas:
to use every minute of these years, when I'm young, in having the best time I possibly can.



Lastly, I was running in Golden Gate park and smelled something, um, chronic. That's not so unusual. In fact, I probably smell that every time I go to the park. What was so unusual though, was that it was coming from a middle-aged man who was walking with his middle-aged wife and what looked like his teenage son. THEN, he passed it to the boy! They were just sharing a joint walking down Stanyan along the park like that's completely normal. Whatever brings a family together, I guess.

The day's not over and I can't even imagine what else this city has in store for me...

2 comments:

Unca D said...

Okay, what have you done with B? Did her computer blow up? Is she tied up in the basement? Has she become malnourished out there without any West Virginia comfort food like half-runner beans and Mister B's? Her people want to know.

ap said...

you should call and email and fax her to tell her to get her blogging act together. it's becoming a one woman show, which is never as interesting as a two woman show