4.30.2008

A friend of mine recently asked me about my decision to go to work for a private company, specifically one that is in finance and how I could possibly find anything moral in that. This topic is something I've thought about a lot, especially going to Oberlin and being involved in community service on campus. I know I don't need to defend myself, but I think my decision is interesting.

Since being at Oberlin I've struggled with the decision to major in Economics and then go into business versus something like teaching (most plausible considering my experience with teaching through America Reads). Growing up with a single mother who went to college when I was quite young to be a teacher and is now a social worker, I decided that I wanted to take a different path. I love kids and would surely enjoy teaching, but going into a professional that is so female-dominated and chronically under-valued sounded depressing to me. But I also don't think that choosing to go into business or finance is just about the money or status. I find finance and investing to be interesting and know that going that path can provide opportunities that teaching probably couldn't. Also, I can always go into to teaching later on, but might find the switch from teahing to finance more difficult.

What do you think?

1 comment:

Micahceous said...

I think it's a great thing to go into the private sector. Plus, there's so many public-private partnerships that can really make great strides at improving our infrstructure, our schools, and so many other things. I think people see the private sector as bad because of profit, but many people ignore the many innovatations that have come because of it. I've struggled a similar problem as well and decided when I get out I'm going private too. There's just more opportunities and you can possibly do just as much if not more that non-profit and public sectors do.