4.29.2008

funny tuesday

My line of work, surprisingly, can offer a lot of humor. As a law office that advertises itself as one serving those who generally cannot afford to hire an attorney, we get many phone calls from people seeking legal advice or representation for matters nowhere near related to predatory lending.
I think the one I answered this afternoon was by far my favorite. A youngish sounding man on the other end began the conversation with "Yea, I need to ask some questions about the laws." Knowing that I most likely could not answer his questions, I still asked him to explain the situation so that I could direct him to the appropriate organization. He went on to tell me this:
"My wife went to one of those, like, beauty colleges to get her hair cut. She wanted a Chinese Bob, but they, like, cut her hair real short, so she looks like a boy. So she went back in so they could fix it, and they, like, cut it even shorter. Just made it worse. So we called to get a refund, so we could, like, go have it fixed. So, like, what can we do?"
I was almost too shocked to laugh, although that didn't last long. I promptly told him that, while I did not know that he had a claim, if he did, the Attorney General's Consumer Protection Division would be his best bet.
If I were actually allowed to give out advice over the phone, I would say this:
Um, like, hair grows back.

5 comments:

Shawbee said...

Ummm its a beauty college.

Unknown said...

Ummmm, you referred them to your brother (AG's Consumer division)---ohhh, you do have an evil sense of humor

b said...

Yea, the best part is that my brother was standing in the doorway as I was giving out the AG's number and laughing really hard. He knew his office was about to get a hilarious phone call.

Anonymous said...

what if she was a blow up doll? then her hair wouldn't grow back.

ap said...

my friend, who is japanese went to get his haircut at the velvet turtle (horrible salon in oberlin) and when he asked the stylist to cut his bangs she said she wanted to leave it so he didn't look like a china doll. !!!!