6.10.2008

marquer l'histoire

I promised my sister that I'd blog about tennis, the men's finals in particular, because it was so cool to watch Rafa at his best. Nadal played Federer in the finals on the clay court at Roland Garros in Paris this past Sunday. Unlike the long, close match at Wimbeldon last year, Rafa beat Federer pretty fast in 6-1 6-3 6-0. Everyone seems to love Federer, the suave Swiss who pretty much always has control over the match he's playing (except when he had mono this past Australian Open) so I couldn't help but hope the Spaniard underdog would win. It was bittersweet though seeing Federer fall so fast and hard, especially since he's vying for Sampras' career grand slam title record and needs 2 more to tie it, 3 to beat it. Of course I want him to beat it, because Sampras is annoying AND a republican.

I'm a big fan of the Williams sisters and neither of them were in the final, so I'm not going to comment on the women's match. Dinara Safina is fun to watch with her attitude and huge comebacks, but I need to see a little more of her before becoming a fan.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Excellent synopsis of one of the most lop-sided French Open mens' finals in history!

Watch for Safina in the future - how can you not love a girl who will swat the geraniums after losing a point, and in the awards ceremony, tell the crowd that the family of her finals opponent was annoyingly loud during the match?

b said...

Sampras is a Republican?? Gross.

At least Serena has Common to distract her while she's not playing...

ap said...

seriously? serena and common?! that just made my day.

Unknown said...

And the best endorsement Sampras could get was for Tournagrip. Lame.

Agassi's a Democrat.

b said...

A democrat?? Really? Most bald men aren't, well at least where I live...

Unknown said...

He's from Vegas, so probably anything goes...