8.21.2008

Happy Amish Thursday

In honor of Amish Thursday I thought I'd share a bit of information about the midwestern natives that seem to be growing at unbelievable rates. Even though they seem rare and fascinating to us, their population is growing at 130 percent and has expanded to a total of 28 states (new states include Arkansas, Colorado, Maine, Mississippi, Nebraksa, Washington, and West Virgina).

This is exciting for a number of reasons, the most important being that more people will be exposed to their communities and culture. My favorite part of Amish culture is the delicious cheese and dairy products. Ohio has a large Amish population and much of our dairy in Oberlin was bought from Amish farms.

Let us know if there's an Amish enclave near you and how they are incorporated in the greater community!

7 comments:

Juliet Lu said...

I celebrated Amish Thursday just yesterday! PS Alex, I have a story for you about a poetic note you once left in the sand (aka the wet sidewalk cement).... its not a good story just something you could call an epilogue...

Nick said...

Better Off: Flipping the Switch on Technology by Eric Brende is a great book about a "English" couple living in an Amish-like community. I'll bring my copy to the office for you on Monday. You'll totally dig it, that is if you haven't read it already.

Anonymous said...

Roy: Hey, I hope you don't mind, I got up a little early, so I took the liberty of milking your cow for you. Yeah, it took a little while to get her warmed up, she sure is a stubborn one, whew.
[Takes a drink from the bucket]

Mr. Boorg: We don't have a cow. We have a bull.

Roy: I'm gonna brush my teeth.

Anonymous said...

Roy: Hey, I hope you don't mind, I got up a little early, so I took the liberty of milking your cow for you. Yeah, it took a little while to get her warmed up, she sure is a stubborn one, whew.
[Takes a drink from the bucket]

Mr. Boorg: We don't have a cow. We have a bull.

Roy: I'm gonna brush my teeth.

ap said...

thanks for the double-posted comment Al, it inflates our comment tally.

Anonymous said...

your welcome ;)

oh, in case ya didn't know, those lines are from the movie Kingpin. every time i see or hear the word 'amish', i think of the scenes in that movie. woody harrelson's character is trying convince an amish bowling prospect's family to let him go on the road. the context increases the laugh factor tenfold.

Anonymous said...

Turns out being Amish is good for the waist line too! See today's SF Chronicle story...
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/09/09/MNUL12Q7LU.DTL&hw=Amish&sn=001&sc=1000