10.12.2008

Has it hit you yet?


If you haven't realized yet that the economy is tanking, you're probably not very smart or in tune with current events. It really is and it's effects have already started permeating everyday life for some people. Our neighborhood in Berkeley, on the edge of Oakland started suffering from more thefts and crime this summer in restaurants and bars along College Avenue, perhaps a symptom of job loss and fear for what lays ahead in the coming months. I had my purse stolen the just a couple of nights ago and the only charge that got through before it was canceled was at a gas station, where of course it's ridiculously expensive to fill up a tank these days. By the way, I think it's pretty much common knowledge that driving is out, so trade in your SUVs and even Priuses people, because bikes are sexy and the bus still isn't, but it's getting there.

Ebay just layed off 10% of its workforce, retailers didn't see the numbers they were hoping for in September and pretty much no one can get credit now. I've heard rumors on the business school front that application rates will be out the roof this year as people turn to education as a way to avoid the hyper-competetitive job market. What rumors are you hearing or has it actually affected you?

10 comments:

b said...

I think the bus is sexy.

ap said...

oh, I forgot to mention all the great investment opportunities right now. I guess it's good for people our age who are adding to a 401k because when everything eventually rebounds, it could go up quite a lot. I'm hoping at least...

Kate Mooney said...

finally! some guidance from my econ-majored friend. whew.

Anonymous said...

my 401k has lost 8.6 points in the last quarter. it'll be even worse come the next one. i'm seriously considering withdrawing a portion of my 401k (with penalty of course) and investing myself. i've no faith whatsoever in met life's mutual funds. hell, i can lose 8% every three months for free.

Micahceous said...

It's funny. Because this is happening I'm actually seriously considering trying to buy a house once loans are available and I have enough income. I figure that I could probably get one in Los Angeles for a lot cheaper than I can right now.

valmo said...

Yes, it has.

Right now, I'm trying to figure out what to do after my I finish my master's degree. Deal is, academia isn't my bag... and I don't want to be a high school science teacher...

So. I'm considering looking for jobs. I've looked around, and there aren't too many. I'm worried I won't be able to get one, especially with all these economic issues, so I'm also trying to convince myself to stick with school... because it is a way to avoid this crap (just like you pointed out Alex!).

Also: The bus -- WAY more riders this year. As in, 80% more U of MN affiliated people rode the bus or lightrail this September than last September. And we even have a new bridge now (!!), last September was after 35W fell and screwed up traffic.

I'm favoring riding my bike as a cheaper option. BTW, biking is ONLY sexy if you're wearing a helmet (I was in a wreck, and without the helmet I don't know what would have happened!). Also, groceries have gotten WAY more expensive -- I think we're relegating ourselves to shopping at Super Target since it's so much cheaper (it's uber-crowded there too, so it's not just me who is feeling this way).

Anonymous said...

I think the question better askes is: Has you hit it yet?

Anonymous said...

By askes I mean axed

ap said...

and now my "sexy" bike has been stolen. i'm sick of this whole robbing thing.

Unknown said...

Sorry your bike got stolen, Alex. It's interesting that the day eBay laid off 10% of it's workforce, McCain cited eBay CEO Meg Whitman as a good candidate for Treasury Secretary in his would-be administration.

Also, Val's Minnesota brings up an interesting, if forgotten, priority. In the 1930s a major component of rebuilding our economy was rebuilding our physical infrastructure: dams, power plants, roads and bridges, etc. The NewsHour is doing a series on our aging infrastructure, which is both terrifying and inspiring. A decent infrastructure makeover would cost more than a trillion dollars, but it presents opportunity for modernization in terms of in terms of job creation, engineering capability, and energy efficiency. Let's do it.