3.19.2009

B's Book Pick


I recently finished Eva Luna, by Isabel Allende. She is one of my favorite authors, and her ability to weave intricate, multi-generational tales full of twisted love and fate without seeming sappy or over the top has always attracted me to her books. I especially liked this story, for Eva is a character whose magical ability to tell stories brings her through a series of tough situations with a positive and sometimes even funny outlook on life. As with most of Allende's books (much like her male counterpart, Gabriel Garcia-Marquez), Eva Luna is sexually and politically charged, juxtaposing adolescent exploration with a country's struggle for revolution. This quick read offers a story in which one can easily become immersed and distracted from the real world, and I really recommend it if you need a novel in which to escape for a few hours every day.

No comments: