3.19.2009

crispy.

Perhaps it's hard to understand if you didn't grow up where I did, but this is HILARIOUS. In my teenage years, I was always one the few girls in my high school who didn't go tanning. At my junior prom, I wore a dress that was very low in the back, showing off my sports bra tan (what serious runner wouldn't have one??), and a friend of mine kept making fun of me. Finally, I simply replied to her, a fellow redhead, "At least I won't get cancer", which promptly shut her up.
Seriously, tanning booths are so gross. At least cigarettes, which also give you cancer, have things in them that make you chemically addicted, which makes a tad bit more sense. Tanning booths are simply a product of vanity and our society telling us what is ideal. I find it funny that white women insist on going to great lengths to be tan, while dark skinned women are marketed skin bleaching creams (not really in this country, but still) -- so "perfection" is not too white, but not too dark, I guess. Just be happy with yourself and quite giving yourself cancer. Gross.

2 comments:

Juliet Lu said...

Word, b. I can't buy anything but Johnson & Johnson baby moisturizer in China cause I'm scared it will have bleach or some whitening products in it. Also umbrellas are most frequently spotted in the hands on petite Chinese women on really bright sunny days...

b said...

Seriously Jlu. Be careful over there.